Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Operations and Chief Commercial Officer, the Director, Engineering oversees the research, development, delivery and maintenance of Immervision core optical and imaging technology and solutions. This leadership role involves managing the growing optical design and software engineering team, making strategic and technical decisions, while influencing and collaborating with stakeholders across Immervision and external organizations in order to drive the delivery of optical and software technology. We believe that leaders should also be contributors. Along with the ability to guide, inspire, and advocate for your team, you’ll be equally capable to jump in and get your hands dirty when needed. You’ll work closely with the Vice President, Technology on technology roadmaps, fundamental and applied research and IP development. You’ll also work with the project management and technical sales and support teams on responsibilities that encompass process creation, work scheduling, customer technical support, project lead time and cost estimation, mentoring, team-building, and organizational communication.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead and grow cross-functional high performing technology teams of optical designers, embedded software and imaging algorithm developers through coaching and mentoring;
- Support / Create environment for continuous learning to cater team’s agility for current and future needs;
- Accountable for the performance, efficiency and professionalism of the engineering team;
- Manage the development process and drive best practices from beginning to end of project for optical design, software release, PoC,production, testing and delivery;
- Align objectives, strategies with the needs of the business and guide the team in effective interactions with other teams both internals and externals (customers, partners and suppliers);
- Accountable of engineering efforts to analyze customers, partners or project requirements and evaluate feasibility;
- Develop and implement development tools, test methodology and quality plans, programs, and procedures using engineering best practices, quality control and analyses;
- Accountable of the quality of delivery quality conform to industry standards and requirements. and, customer or partner satisfaction;
- Ensure that the engineering team deliveries are timely, high quality, measurable, and maintainable;
- Participate in the patent publications as part of innovative research outcome.
- Collects the data and required documentation from the engineering team and prepares yearly based tax credit report;
- Prepare scope of work for different optical and imaging projects with the help of project management team and sale department;
- Support sale and marketing departments in the pre-sale technical activities;
- Manage and prioritize operational projects based on the short-term, mid-term and long-term deliverable.
Training and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and/or Computer Science and/or Physics or equivalent (Master’s degree is an asset);
- 10 years of engineering and technical leadership experience;
- 5 years of management experience leading heterogeneous hardware and software engineering teams, while motivating them to act by creating a shared sense of vision or purpose;
- Proficient in both Agile and Waterfall project management environment;
- Strong understanding of product life cycle development;
- Experience in camera related product is an asset;
- Passion for imaging science in the areas of optics, image processing, Computer Vision,ML and AI.
Skills and Competencies
- Extremely strong interpersonal, influential and communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to assess and clearly communicate technical and business value;
- A recognized inspiring leader, with a strong ability to influence others, build consensus, lead teams, engage engineers, and drive towards business and technical decisions;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Adaptability and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high growth and rapidly changing environment;
- Speaks and write fluently in English and can communicate in French (ability to communicate in Mandarin, Korean or Japanese is an asset)
- Never give up
- Team player
- Results oriented