Alessandro Gasparini, Executive VP and Chief Commercial Officer at Immervision, joined Builder Nation’s Podcast host Elisa Muñoz to share his experiences as a leader in the computer vision industry and the insights he has gained from his broad expertise in global business development and marketing management.
Computer vision is a field of artificial intelligence (AI) that enables machines to interpret, analyze and understand visual data from the world around them. It has become a critical technology for multiple industries due to its ability to automate and streamline various processes, from security surveillance to self-driving cars, and entertainment. As the world becomes more reliant on technology, the demand for computer vision will continue to grow exponentially.
This blog post will delve into the conversations between Alessandro and Elisa while discussing the latest trends in the computer vision industry. We will also touch on how Immervision is helping companies unleash the full potential of computer vision.
Visualizing the Power of Computer Vision
Though it has been around since the 1960s, significant advancements in the field of computer vision have only come about since the 1990s, with the development of deep learning algorithms and the growth of cloud computing and the Internet of Things (IoT).
With these advancements, the importance of pixel size and quality plays a significant role when it comes to scenarios where fine details are crucial or in less-than-optimal environments, such as low-light.
As technology enables the capture of images with an incredibly high number of pixels (unprecedented levels of detail), the performance and reliability of computer vision algorithms is enhanced, enabling more precise object detection, facial recognition, and image analysis, which is crucial across various industries and applications. All this enables machines to better comprehend their environment and make more intelligent decisions based on that information.
Applications in Industries
Computer vision innovation is driving progress for a wide range of applications and industries. The automotive sector is being leveraged for developing self-driving cars and advanced driver assistance systems to enhance road safety. In robotics, Immervisions image-processing algorithms enable machines to analyze and interpret visual data from the environment around them, allowing enhanced object detection and navigation.
In the security domain, it is being utilized for facial recognition and video surveillance to ensure public safety. In healthcare, computer vision is helping in medical imaging and disease diagnosis, aiding in faster and more accurate treatment.
Moreover, it is making significant strides in the entertainment industry, transforming the way we experience virtual reality and live streaming. The same thing can be said for personal computing as the popularity of web conferencing continues to rise.
As Alessandro points out in the interview, the common challenge for all these industries is that manufacturers who want to advance their offering are having trouble finding the ‘right’ option in the market. For example, the automotive industry is in need of a smaller footprint camera that can offer a wider Field of View (FoV) with good quality pixels where needed to enabling them to do more applications with the same camera.
Immervision: A Bright Future for Computer Vision
Immervision’s technology is designed to enable intelligent vision on any device. Offering a range of vision solutions and services that can be integrated into various industries and applications; Immervision’s specialties include wide-angle optics, sensor fusion and image processing – all crucial to visual cortex technology developments. Immervision has always had a strong focus on research and development, as seen in the Immervision InnovationLab which ensures the company stays at the forefront of the industry, driving progress and pushing boundaries.
“Immervision started with smart image processing engineers, but we soon saw the need for good image sources (better source pixels). As a company, we understand optical design, the electronic hardware components and image tuning and processing needed to provide good pixel management,” explains Alessandro. “We bring a design-thinking approach to solve customers’ problems. We know their requirements and help them find, or develop for them, the ‘right’ vision solution.”
In the foreseeable future, Immervision plans to continue pushing the boundaries of physics and electronics together to create the closest possible visual cortex to the human visual cortex and beyond.
Their advanced visual cortex vision technology offers customers benefits including:
- Enhanced Image Quality: Visual Cortex utilizes advanced algorithms and processing techniques to enhance image quality. It can improve the clarity, sharpness, and overall visual experience of images and videos. This is particularly valuable in applications such as surveillance, automotive safety systems, medical imaging, and consumer electronics.
- Wide-Angle Perspective: Immervision’s technology enables wide-angle imaging, capturing a broader FoV compared to traditional camera systems. This wider perspective is beneficial for applications such as security surveillance, automotive in-cabin monitoring, virtual reality (VR), and augmented reality (AR), where a comprehensive view of the surroundings is crucial.
- Distortion Correction: Immervision’s advanced visual cortex corrects lens distortions that can occur. It ensures that straight lines appear straight and that objects retain their proper proportions, resulting in more accurate and realistic images. This is particularly useful in surveillance systems, video conferencing, and photography.
- Compatibility and Scalability: Immervision technology is designed to be compatible with various hardware platforms, making it versatile and easy to integrate into different products and systems. Its scalability enables it to handle large volumes of data and perform complex image processing tasks efficiently.
- Innovation and Future-Proofing: As the leading provider of wide-angle imaging and computer vision solutions, Immervision customers can stay at the forefront of computer vision advancements, without having to be experts themselves. They can incorporate cutting-edge features and functionalities into their products, ensuring long-term relevance and competitiveness.
This interview is brought to you by BuilderNation, the community of Hardware leaders developing world-changing products, and sponsored by ControlHub, the purchasing software for hardware companies.